Tuesday, June 1, 2010

The Whitaker Sisters: Risa's Miracle

This was a very special photoshoot and one I will always remember. It was and is the very essence of what I want to do with photography: creating something that can be treasured forever, give people hope, and make all those who see it, happy.
One of my best friends, Risa Whitaker, has recently been diagnosed with cancer. The doctors don't really know exactly what type of cancer it is, since it has spread everywhere. Her liver, lymph node area, ovaries, lungs, and entire pancreatic area is full of it.
She is so strong. And so is her family.
I surprised my family and friends this last memorial day weekend by coming home, and I was able to be there for Risa's graduation. After the ceremony I surprised Railee, Risa's siter, (also one of my best friends!) and she was so happy to see me; she explained how she had been wanting to get pictures of Risa and all her sisters (the five of them all together) and had been looking around but really wanted me to do it but alas! I live in Rexburg. However. I was there for the weekend and oh so willingly agreed to take pictures for them that sunday, for free of course. It was so wonderful! The weather had been crappy lately, and I had been hoping and praying all day that it wouldn't rain since I wanted to do the shoot outside and so did they, and we were blessed with a miracle! It started to rain almost right after I left, as I was driving home! Railee and I talked about it and how it really is a sign of how mindful God is of Risa and their family.
Risa started chemotherapy tonight, June 1st, at Doerenbecher's Children Hospital in Portland, Oregon. I fasted all day for her and the Whitakers and spent most of the day editing the pictures. I posted them as soon as I could, and it ended up being perfect timing. Rai texted me saying "Perfect timing with those pictures, Sonj! Risa's laying in her hospital bed, waiting to start chemo, and we got to look through them together!" She couldn't thank me enough. I told her that she had no need to thank me, since I would honestly do anything for Risa. And this is my way of helping out and making their lives a little bit easier. I'm hoping that there were a lot of smiles in that hospital room tonight. Because it sure made me smile knowing that they got to see them together.
I love Risa so very much! I hope you know that darling!
Please join the facebook page for Risa, Healing Prayers for Risa Whitaker.
Here are just a few of the pictures, you can see the rest on facebook.

The gorgeous Whitaker Sisters! From left: Railee, Rebecca, Rachel, Risa, and Reana.


Risa, Railee and I

Favorite! haha

3 comments:

  1. Sonja, my name is Notto Jensen and I don't think we've ever met, but I love the Whitakers, and started the Healing Prayers for Risa page. I can't tell you how much I appreciate your doing this. The pictures are truly wonderful and capture the life and energy that those wonderful girls personify. You were truly on a mission of love, coming home and being a part of this, and making it happen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am sitting in the hospital room right now with Risa. She finished her first treatment of chemo a few hours ago and is now sleeping. Just so you know, Sonja, you met your goal. Looking through your pictures as we piled in Risa's bed completely changed the atmosphere of the room. We were laughing and smiling. Risa was more awake and smiley than I have seen her all day. Who doesn't enjoy looking at great pictures of themselves? Thank you for using your talent to touch our family when we needed it! We love you lady! - Rachel

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sonja, these are fantastic!! How I love the Whitakers. I really like the one in front of the garage door where they are so dramatic. Also, it is so like Rachel to not be wearing shoes. These pictures capture them and their love of life and each other.
    Denise

    ReplyDelete